Although intended to be humorous, the video below from BuzzFeed that shows how foolish it would look if co-workers were to carry out assumed childhood gender roles in the workplace, is pretty spot on.
It also reveals just a few of the stereotypical gender traits that are portrayed in advertising messages daily.
- All women must like pink, for everything
- Men should never like, wear or even consider the color pink, for anything
- Women cannot be mechanically-minded
- All men are mechanically-minded
- Only women like cooking, dolls, keeping house, fairytales, unicorns and rainbows
- Only guys like sports, fast cars, adventure and excitement, ninjas and dinosaurs
- Women are bossy and uptight divas
- Men are leaders and playful studs
So, if you want the female audience to choose your brand, forget what you learned as a child. Stereotyping women is one of the quickest ways to be shunned on the playground.